Thursday, August 1, 2013

Why Strongman?

1. Because you get to lift heavy shit.
2. Because you get to lift heavy shit.

Ok...I will stop. 

I was warned well ahead of time that people involved in other sports do not understand the concept of strongman.  And for the most part it is true.  Let me use one prime example: CrossFit.  And I am not writing this to bash CrossFit gyms or their athletes.  I was a crossfitter for years and still have a love for it and the people at my old gyms.  CrossFit offers a strongman certification course, that I have heard is great, but yet most still fail to understand the benefits of strongman training.  So, I am here to explain why I train this way.

When I was involved in CrossFit competitively, I actually preferred to follow the football site that offered quick, short, heavy ass WOD's in comparison to doing a daily WOD that was thirty to forty minutes long.  I never lost a step by doing this and actually gained strength.  The same can be said for strongman workouts...most events only last one minute each (although training for them is longer), they are extremely heavy, and gaining strength happens almost on a weekly basis.  So why not train this way? 

I know crossfitters may see this type of training as strictly strength based with no endurance or cardio.  I dare you to go outside, pick up a heavy ass rock, wrap your arms around tight, and move as quick as you can for 100 feet.  I guarantee you will be breathing heavy.  Or in the next WOD that has a farmers carry/walk, load up 200lbs in each hand and see how far you make it.  Try deadlifting a shit ton of weight or pressing a loaded axle bar for one minute non-stop.  I could go on all day with examples.

The moral of the story is that strongman training does make you stronger, there is a lot of endurance involved, both cardio and muscular...and it is in fact...wait for it...easily accessible.  The tools of the trade are mostly things you can find anywhere...from tractor tires, to logs, to stones, to kegs.  You don't need anything fancy...just pick up something heavy or strap it around your waist and go!  As simple as that. 

I do, however, recommend that you find someone who is knowledgeable in the sport before taking on any of the movements.  There are a lot of technical details in the movements themselves and no one wants to sustain an injury.  Oh but wouldn't you know...a 2x World's Strongest Woman lives right here in town! Well shit, now what excuse do you have to give it a try?  I promise everyone can and will see results with this type of training...even crossfitters.  It does not have to be something you train daily.  I actually only train events once a week...everything else is done at the gym or in my garage.

Give it a shot...get dirty...and lift heavy shit!  There is nothing better!

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment