Thursday, August 22, 2013

Commit & Conquer

"TODAY is YOUR day!
Your MOUNTAIN is waiting.
so...GET ON YOUR WAY!
- Dr. Seuss

"Our true character is that person we become when no one is watching"

I am a kid at heart so I had to start my blog today with a Dr. Seuss quote.  This weekend is my "mountain"...my chance to take yet another step in my journey of recovery.  I have overcome a lot in a year and five months...not without struggle at times, but yet I have managed to fight through the obstacles, break through barriers, and knock down some walls in search of the real me; the one that doesn't need beer and alcohol.

Today I travel alone, but I take with me all that I have learned in the last seventeen months.  From all the lessons on how to live life again, discussions on what actually is important, and the love and kindness shown to me from old and new friends alike...to exploring new passions and pursuing dreams that I never thought I would see in my lifetime.  Who knew one simple decision last March would change my life in so many ways...for the better.

A BIG thank you to Mama Peeler for making this trip happen!  Brooke who has been my backbone since 2002 and day one of this journey, even though we both laughed when I said "I am done drinking".  My coach, Jill, who continually makes me push beyond what I think is even possible...every damn day.  My strongman Barn Crew...I will hear you cheering from long distance!  And to all those that have inspired me to become a better person and lifter (there are so many, I will have to save that for another blog)...thank you!

As I once heard a wise person say..."Commit and Conquer".  And this I will.    

No comments:

Post a Comment