Sunday, August 4, 2013

Becoming Strong!

I met this chick back in 2009 at the CrossFit Regionals held at GSX in Ft.Worth, Texas. We were in every heat together.  The first WOD was rowing and a 105lb squat to overhead, thruster, clean and press. Whatever the hell it was called back then. So this person, whom I did not know, came up to me as I was warming up and asked me to demo the movement. She wasn't quite sure about it and was definitely not confident with the weight. I completed the WOD as she struggled at the other end.

After a huge thunderstorm rolled through right in the middle of WOD #2, we moved inside for the final WOD of the day. It was a 21-15-9 of box jumps/step-ups, kb swings, and sumo deadlift high pulls. A short, quick, have a beer ready for me type of WOD. Since we moved inside to workout, there was a burpee penalty added for dropping the bar in the high pull so GSX could protect its gymnastics floor. No one really struggled with this WOD because the weight was light, but some people did get caught off guard by the added rule and dropped the bar.  Melissa was one of those people.  On her very last high pull, she let go of the bar at the top and her judge walked with her to the gymnastics floor for her burpee penalty.  I saw what happened and returned to the floor to cheer her on (see pic below).

Now, in 2013, a 105lb clean and jerk is more like a warm-up.  She has spent lots of time in the gym gaining strength...and worked her tail off every day!  I admire the hell out of this girl for what she has accomplished and as of today holds the title of World Master's Weightlifting Champion/Gold Medalist and World Games record holder.  A well deserved title to say the least!  Big congrats to my friend Mel!!!

2009 Regional
 
2013 a World Champion
 

No comments:

Post a Comment