Thursday, July 18, 2013

Everything I Know About Lifting...

...I learned from Jill Mills. 100% true statement!

Before I start rambling, I am under the assumption that everyone knows who Jill is...a 2x World's Strongest Woman...holds more powerlifting records than I can count...and is by far the best personal trainer/strongman coach in San Antonio, shit probably the best there is in Texas.  But I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...oh what do I care, this is my blog. She is the best there is period! 

I met Jill for the first time about ten years ago at a Silver Stars game, and will admit that I pretty much ran over some of women's college basketball premier coaches to do so. And her autograph from that day still hangs in my game room/former bar. 

Now fast forward to October of last year. After several e-mail exchanges, I met Jill again. This time seven months sober, 50lbs heavier than I am now, and wanting to learn how to powerlift. We sat down at Olympic gym to discuss goals and expectations...in the thirty minutes following this conversation I found out my lifts were shit, form was shittier, and I had a ton of work to do if I wanted to compete and/or be competitive. I left the gym that day thinking two things: 1. this was definitely the trainer for me and 2. what in the hell had I been doing since college for my lifting technique to be so bad?!

I grew up in an era where lifting for sports was a guy thing...and the school weight rooms were reserved for the football team. Lifting for team sports didn't come into practice until I was in my final years of college, and most lifting technique was self-taught (problem #1). I relied heavily on muscle magazines to learn the why, what, and how to lift. I was at least lucky enough that a professor of mine, who is now well known for coaching Olympians, introduced me to Olympic lifting.

In 2008, I found CrossFit. So, all that I had learned, or better yet, had NOT learned turned into fast paced, high repetition crap (problem #2). I squatted mostly with my quads, pressed off my toes, deadlifted with my back, and muscled my way through other lifts. At the time, it worked for me and I competed in the CrossFit Games in 2009. Then came injury after injury from poor technique.

One of the first things I told Jill is that I didn't squat, nor did I want to, because of injuries and hadn't in 2+ years.  So what is the first damn thing we do...work on squats.  Why?  Because little did I know...actually I did but didn't abide by this theory myself...that all lifting derives from the base up.  Without a squat and more power in my lower body, I would never get any better...not what I wanted.  Jill and I have spent hours of gym time changing and/or altering every little detail in all my lifts.  I am a constant work in progress...especially my squat, but have gone from struggling with 95lbs to back squatting 200lbs...from barely getting one rep of a 115 front squat to doing reps at 115.  My 225 deadlift with the worst form ever has turned into a 345 with only minor issues.

As I mentioned, I began my training with Jill in October 2012.  I entered my first bench press only powerlifting competition in December...weighing in at 192.  My second competition and first full meet came in March and I now weighed 167.  That same weekend I also competed in my first strongman competition.  It was one of those last minute decisions...jump into head first and see what happens kind of things.  Well, I fell in love with the sport.  Weight wise, I weighed in at 157 for my final powerlifting meet of the year.  I never once asked or told Jill that I wanted to lose weight...I just wanted to lift heavy.  Nor did I ever change my diet...cookies and Big Red every day.  I do not recommend that to everyone.   

In October of this year, pretty damn close to one year of training with Jill, I will be competing in my first strongwoman national competition.  I still have a shit ton of work to do before I get there and have two more contests before then.  BUT I would have never done any of this without her help.  She is like a big sister that will beat the crap out of you, then turn around help you up, dust you off, and brag about your accomplishments.  She pushes me to my limits and then adds more weight when I am not looking.  She has molded me into a more confident and well rounded athlete.  I am better because of her. 

What more could you ask for?  For me personally, take all that I have learned in the last year and put it to work at nationals.  Like we used to say in basketball...leave it all on the floor.    


my first lift in competition
   


1 comment:

  1. Your words really touch my heart. I am really blessed to be able to work with you and play a part in your amazing metamorphosis. You are a talented and driven lady and a tough athlete. I consider you a friend and thank you for entrusting your knees and back to me ����

    ReplyDelete