Saturday, September 21, 2013

drunk Grace

Grace is one of my all time favorite CrossFit workouts.  Why?  Because it is short and sweet, almost anyone can throw a 95lb bar around, so there is always some kind of competition, and I used to smoke everyone else in the gym.  And who can resist a workout made up soley of a clean and jerk...one of my favorite lifts, even though I am really not that good at it.  Although, I do have to admit the movement itself rarely resembles a clean and jerk.  Its more along the lines of a ground to reverse curl to rack and any way overhead.

For all the non-crossfitters and newbs to CrossFit, Grace is a hurricane WOD.  The original girl named WOD's were named after hurricanes, as in the ones that make landfall...duh.  Others, such as "Annie" and "Eva", were named after some of the original badass CrossFit women.  Annie, made up of double-unders and sit-ups, my least favorite WOD out of all of them, is named after Annie Sakamoto...one of my all-time favorite crossfitters (along with Jolie Gentry, the original Games Champion).

Grace is a 30 rep workout.  I have probably done it around a dozen times...sometimes just for fun as a warm-up and other times while participating in a fundraiser. It is one that I can complete in just a little over two and a half minutes.  Then there was "drunk Grace".  Come on, I wrote a whole blog about working out and drinking...you can't be surprised.  There is no telling how many beers I had already consumed, but I decided to do three rounds of ten clean and jerk @ 95lbs, each round was followed by slamming a 12oz cold Miller Lite.  I completed the workout in five and a half minutes...and managed to avoid hitting myself in the head with the bar.  So, what this all boils down to is that I decided to make a return to "drunk Grace".  Wait for it.....

30 keg clean and press...somewhere around 100lbs.  I don't know what you were thinking.  I finished all 30 legit reps, including a slight pause at the top, in just around 8 minutes.  Although I do know how long it took, give or take, there was no rush as I was working on my form through the movement.  Whereas in the past, I would have just thrown the bar around as quick as possible to get the best time.  But that is one difference between CrossFit and Strongwoman...quality of the reps are way more important due to the weight involved as well as the implement.  You can always drop a bar with bumpers, but a heavy keg hitting the ground due to bad form can easily end up breaking something...including a body part. 





No comments:

Post a Comment